Sunday, October 28, 2007

5 Reasons I Love My Job

1. Well, the puppies and the kittens! Duh!

2. I (almost) always have at least ONE thing in common with anyone I see at work: We both want what's best for their pet. I may not like every single client that I see, but I always like working to make their pet better. Human doctors don't have that luxury...can you imagine having to make someone you couldn't stand FEEL BETTER? Ugh.

3. The diversity of pet owners is never boring. It's always entertaining to see the stereotypical little old lady and her five cats, the family of four with the goofy Golden Retriever, or the retired police officer with his German Shepherd. But even more amusing are the odd match-ups of the Big Biker Dude with his Pomeranian or the prissy 100 lb. Diva with a slobbering 200 lb. Great Dane.

4. The diversity of PETS is never boring either. Some of the purebreds, both of the canine and feline variety, are just downright bizarre. Sometimes I get excited about an appointment just because I get to see a unusual breed of dog or cat!

5. It's a pretty awesome feeling to work very hard to figure out what is wrong with an animal, start treating it, and watch it get better. Sometimes it feels like I've just pulled off a really kick-ass magic trick...one that even makes ME go "holy shit! It worked!" Don't get me wrong, I mean, I know that if I've diagnosed something appropriately, it certainly SHOULD work. But it's still amazing to me to watch it happen. I don't know... maybe when I'm a crusty old veteran of veterinary medicine I won't feel that way about it anymore. I hope I still do, though.

3 comments:

Pann said...

oh, I love reason #1!!

Just found your blog today, and I'm interested, in part because my daughter wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up. She's 7 so I'm not holding her to it, but still!

It sounds like a wonderful vocation.

The kittens and puppies! of course! that is why my daughter wants to do it too!

Antique Mommy said...

I suspect all doctors have the "holy shit!" feeling from time to time.

My pediatrician says that his work is a lot like being a vet because his patients can't tell him what's wrong and the patient's owners, er parents, are usually, well, you know... hand-wringers and overly... let's just say "overly".

Be Inspired Always said...

I wanted to be a vet when I grew up. I love animals. I own four dogs and two cats.


But instead God chose for me to inspire children and be an author.



Jillian